Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Megabatz! s/t 3" CDR Review

Megabatz!:s/t 3" cdr

Mysterious little 3" cdr goody I was given by Riley at a show recently. Megabatz! might be Riley and DBL kingpin Sam then again I could've just been misled. No information on the release except the band name and the two track titles. Track 1: Tengoku is an amazingly lovely 15+ minute drone based piece that sucked me immediately into the sound. One keyboard on a organ sounding drone with a nice frequent tweaks of oscillation and fingering. Synths seem to hover all around the drone with a slowly accreting melody wrapping itself around the central tones. Reminded me of early pulsing Stereolab before they faded off into a way too French airiness for my taste. This however is the goods my friends. Track dos: Cleaver Teeth is a shorter seven minute synth clash with more dynamic shifts and some cool little fragments (at least to me) where the pieces come bouncing together to end up with a proto- electro sound that seems to imagine Afikaa Bambatta discovering Cluster rather than Kraftwerk. Favorite part of the cd. Careful listening to Tengoku and hearing distinct whispers adding a wonderful human element to the song.

Casey, track these cats down for a Pillowful Of Drone. They would be kickass. A really lovely unexpected treat of a disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment